Skip directly to content

Woman fined £400 following dog fouling prosecution

on Tue, 15/05/2018 - 4:45pm

A woman from Harwell has been ordered to pay £400 after being prosecuted for failing to remove mess that her dog had left on public land.

At Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 1 May, Toni Brayfield, of Westfield, Harwell, was fined £170 and ordered to pay £230 costs for breaching the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996. 

Magistrates heard how, in September 2017, a resident had contacted Vale of White Horse District Council after witnessing Ms Brayfield repeatedly let her dog foul on neighbouring public land.  An environmental enforcement officer visited the area and found several piles of dog mess that had not been cleared up. 

The officer then wrote to Ms Brayfield about the issue and eventually issued her with a fixed penalty notice.  However, she then failed to pay the fine and so was prosecuted for the offence.

Ms Brayfield failed to attend court and the case was proved in her absence when Magistrates agreed that she had failed to remove the dog mess. 

Cllr Elaine Ware, Cabinet Member for Housing and Environment at Vale of White Horse District Council, said: “Dog mess is both unsightly and potentially harmful to people’s health.  Anyone in charge of a dog is responsible for making sure that mess is cleared up and disposed of correctly. 

“Failing to do this shows a complete lack of regard for the environment, everyone in the local community, and also badly lets down all responsible dog owners.”

If your area is experiencing a problem with dog fouling please report it by visiting or by calling Vale of White Horse District Council’s Environmental Protection Team on 01235 422403.

By law, you must clean up after your dog when it fouls any footpath, highway, verge or other open space to which the public have access. Failing to do so could result in a fixed penalty notice of £50 or prosecution.

If you see a dog owner allowing their dog to foul and not picking it up, take details of anything that identifies them and contact the Vale's Environmental Protection department:-

From an article on the Vale website; see the original <here>.