Skip directly to content

Parish Council Minutes - Wednesday, 27th November 2019

on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 7:05pm

SPARSHOLT PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of Sparsholt Parish Council held on

Wednesday 27th November 2019 at Griffin Memorial Hall starting at 7.00pm

Present: Councillors Barnes, Caudle, Jacobs and Jones, DC Paul Barrow, the RFO and Clerk and ten parishioners.

 

 

ACTION

1

Apologies:  Cllr Comyn.  In the absence of the Chairman Cllr Barnes chaired the meeting.

 

2

Declaration of Acceptance of Office, Declarations of Interest & Reminder of the Code of Conduct:  None.

 

3

Minutes for Approval:

Approve the Minutes of the Sparsholt Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 18th September 2019:  Cllr Jones proposed acceptance of the minutes, seconded by Cllr Caudle.

Approve the Minutes of the Sparsholt Parish Council Planning meeting held on Wednesday 13th November 2019:  Cllr Jacobs proposed acceptance of the minutes, seconded by Cllr Caudle.

 

4

Matters Arising:

  1. Land registry number for the Cemetery:  No update from Cllr Comyn.
  2. Defibrillator training:  11 parishioners attended the First Aid and defibrillator training.  A sum of £100 donation for the training, under section 137, was proposed by Cllr Jones and seconded by Cllr Barnes, agreed by all.
  3. Triangle Woods:  Cllr Jones spoke to George and he was not aware of St Adrian’s plans to offer access to the wood for parishioners.  George had some questions; why do we need access?  What benefit is it for the village?  How do we protect the asset from children and dogs?  Cllr Jones suggests a short-term lease of a year to see how the arrangement will work for both parties.  George is thinking about the granting of permissive access.  Maybe the village does not want this, one parishioner has concerns about damage to the snowdrops.  Cllr Jones said that a path could be marked out in-expensively by just marking out and strimming.  A tree survey would have to be completed and it would have to be added to the Parish Council Insurance.  Cllr Jones to investigate costs.   
  4. Damaged verges on Days Lane:  Cllr Barnes offered to ask Nick Price if this work has now been completed.
  5. Parking too close to the junction of Church Way:  Cllr Jones spoke to George Chichester about the Camper van that is parking too close to the junction.  Cllr Jones to follow this up but the Camper van has been moved, 
  6. Memorial Oak in Church Way:  Cllr Jones has planted the Oak with a tree guard and the plaque.
  7. Stile repair on the Common:  The footplate of the stile is built into the bridge.  It was constructed by OCC.  Cllr Caudle to contact Arthur McEwan-James to ask for the repairs to be done as the bridge is slippery and weak. 

 

Cllr Comyn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Jones

 

Cllr Barnes

 

 

Cllr Jones

 

 

 

 

Cllr Caudle

 

5

Finance:

  1. Review of Financial Procedures and Regulations:  The RFO had forwarded the Financial Procedures prior to the meeting and acceptance was proposed by Cllr Jacobs, seconded by Cllr Barnes and agreed by all.  The RFO had forwarded the Financial Regulations prior to the meeting and acceptance was proposed by Cllr Barnes, seconded by Cllr Jones and agreed by all.
  2. Finance Reports up to the 30th September and 31st October:  Cllr Barnes read out the report and Cllr Jacobs proposed acceptance of it, seconded by Cllr Caudle an agreed by all.
  3. Approval of any payments to be made:  £157.56 Clerks salary for October and November, £94.62 RFO salary for October and November, PAYE £98.60, Grass cutting August to November £60.00, Clerks admin expenses £103.47 and £3.50, a donation of £50 to the Wantage Independent Advice Centre under section 137, these payments were proposed by Cllr Barnes, seconded by Cllr Jacobs and agreed by all.
  4. Precept and Budget:  Cllr Barnes read through the draft budget and proposed acceptance, seconded by Cllr Caudle and agreed by all.  Cllr Barnes proposed setting the Precept at £3,500.00, seconded by Cllr Caudle and agreed by all.
  5. Online banking:  Approved payments to be made online.
  6. Any other finance matters:  Cllr Barnes proposed that Cllr Jones be added as a signatory to bank account, seconded by Cllr Jacobs and agreed by all.

 

6

Planning:

New Applications:  None.

Decisions:

P19/V1955/HH & P19/V1956/LB Sparsholt Manor, OX12 9PT:  Removal of existing, linear drive and installation of a new redirected entrance driveway. – Temporary widening of existing gates to facilitate construction traffic.  No decision.

P19/V3100/HH Home Farm, Sparsholt, OX12 9PL:  Proposed extension to create utility and kids room and garage with a bedroom and en suite above in roof space and internal alterations.  No decision.

P19/V1365/FUL Kingston Lisle Park, Kingston Lisle, OX12 9QG:  Polo stick and ball practice field, timber barn and new lake with associated landscape planting.  Withdrawn.

 

 

 

 

7

Cemetery: 

  1. Cemetery Hedge:  Iain Brown asked that the trimming height of the Cemetery hedge be discussed.  In places the hedge is currently approx. 9ft.  It was suggested that the hedge be reduced in height and width to approx. 7ft, which is where the thick growth starts.  This height gives protection from the wind for parishioners when tending the graves.  The best time to cut the height and width and remove any brambles/elders is August/September and this should be arranged annually. Cllr Jones agreed to ask Matthew Coe for a quote to complete a light trim and remove the brambles and elders now and then another quote to do reduce the height to 7ft and trim the width next year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Jones

8

Review of Standing Orders and Code of Conduct:  Cllr Barnes suggested a couple of amendments.  The Clerk to revise and agreement to be proposed at the next meeting.

 

Clerk

9

Defibrillator.

  1. Custodian of the Defibrillator:  Cllr Jacobs agreed to be the custodian of the defibrillator.  The code number to access the cabinet is given by the Emergency Services if they feel it is appropriate.  “My 3 words” app on a mobile phone helps to show the location. 
  2. Defibrillator pads need replacing:  The pads need replacing at a cost of £87 + VAT for 2 packs, this was proposed by Cllr Barnes, seconded by Cllr Jones and agreed by all.   Cllr Jacobs to organize the purchase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Jacobs

10

Salt and Grit:  Cllrs Caudle and Jones to top up the salt bins.  The salt bin by Pulpit Farm needs emptying, re-filling and re-positioning as it has fallen over.  Cllr Barnes spoke to Nick Price about the salt rota and will speak to volunteers.  A meeting for the volunteers was suggested to discuss the best way to spread the salt, health and safety and to distribute high viz tabards, to be organized by Cllr Barnes.  Cllr Jones to supply the high viz tabards.  Tony Carter to help demonstrate the best way to distribute the salt, with a garden trowel from a bucket.  Dustbins to be supplied to store salt near to the volunteers.     

Cllr Caudle and Jones

 

 

Cllr Jones

11

Correspondence sheet:  No comments.

 

12

District Councillor Barrow Report:  DC Barrow reported that he was a Vale representative of the North Wessex Downs.  There is a Sustainable Development Fund available for projects if Parish Council would like to apply.  The Commissioning Group have been reviewing services at Wantage Hospital but the decision has not been released due to the election purder.  It has been suggested that Minor injuries maybe dealt with by the GP surgeries.  Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire may share more services.  East Challow have a speeding issue on the B4507 and are requesting flashing warning signs.  The visibility coming out of East Challow onto the B4507 is dangerous.  DC Barrow to investigate.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DC Barrow

12

Any Other Business:

  1. Iain Brown has adopted the drain at the back of his house and dug out the grips.
  2. Iain Brown said that a petrol/cordless flymo would be useful for cutting the grass on the banks.  Cllr Barnes will ask Nick to advertise on the website.
  3. The road signs need clearing of foliage.
  4. The grips in Church Way need cutting out.
  5. The hedge on Orchard bend needs cutting back, Cllr Jones to speak to the owner.
  6. There are brambles sticking out of Field View on the left opposite the railings.  Cllr Jones to speak to Sparsholt Manor Farms.
  7. There are brambles along High Street beyond New Farm Cottages, Cllr Jones to speak to Sparsholt Manor Farm.
  8. A parishioner complained about the amount of dog fouling along the footpath and complained about an altercation with an abusive dog owner when challenged about picking up his dogs poo.  The Clerk to put something in the January newsletter and ask Nick to put a reminder on the website.  The Parishioner has spoken to Colin Marshall, Environmental Officer at OCC and he has put a sticker on the field stating ongoing surveillance.  More stickers to be put up along footpaths warning about fines of up to £1,000.  Someone is spraying paint circles around the dog poo.  The parishioner will follow this up with more stickers and ask Colin Marshall for more bins.

 

 

 

Cllr Barnes

 

 

Cllr Jones

 

Cllr Jones

 

 

Cllr Jones

 

 

Clerk

10

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 22nd January 2020 starting at 7.00pm at the Griffin Memorial Hall.

The Parish Council may need to change this date as necessary.

 

Meeting closed at 8.25pm.  Minutes prepared by Mrs D Lewis-Pryde, Parish Clerk

Signed........................................................................................Date.......................................................

SPC 27th November 2019