Skip directly to content

Changes for all UK drivers when driving in the EU and EEA after Brexit

on Wed, 20/03/2019 - 11:36am

There is a good chance that a no-deal Brexit withdrawal will mean British driving licences will no longer be valid in the EU and British motorists will need to apply for International Driving Permits (IDPs) before heading to the continent.

An IDP is essentially a translated version of your existing driving licence. It allows foreign officials to quickly and easily check your credentials. It costs £5.50 to buy and you can apply for one at the Post Office (click).

In addition to an IDP, it’s likely that UK drivers will also need a motor insurance green card. This is a document provided by your insurer to prove that you have adequate insurance cover for driving abroad.

Further info here:-